🔕 🔔

I am baking muffins that call for 1 1/2 c oat flour. Can I use 1 1/2 c all purpose flour instead?

asked by mallory 4 months ago

Da79ac2e 4209 4f13 81ba f9754bd02be0  capture

Yes, but it will change the overall intended taste and texture of the muffins. Just as long as you're okay with that! :) You should also be careful with how much you stir the batter, since all purpose flour has gluten, whereas oats don't - if you stir too much the muffins can become tough.

I also recommend that you add 1 cup of all purpose flour before adding the 1/2 cup.
Mix it until just combined and see how the consistency is before adding the 1/2 cup. Sometimes APF can be a little dryer than oat flour, and adding too much could dry out the batter.

I hope you love the muffins!

Personally I would find a recipe that used all purpose flour, there has to be several thousand of them available on the internet. If I did not find one with a similar flavor profile I would consider subbing in the unique ingredients that I liked about the first recipe( excluding oat flour obviously). Modifying a flavor profile would seem a task more likely to succeed than to deal with the quite different properties of the 2 flours.