A question about a recipe: Meyer Lemon Macarons

594f53a4 dd66 4588 92d8 03d7cbdd6e66  033010f 602

How many eggs is 68 grams of egg whites? I heard that 1 egg = 2 oz. Converted to grams it would be one egg =56.69 g. That doesnt seem right.

asked by pamschneider about 7 years ago

JessicaBakes

Sounds like around 2-3 egg whites, but macarons are incredibly precise, so I recommend you truly weigh it out

dbradley

The average large egg weighs 50 grams (without the shell). The yolk is typically 20g and the white is usually 30g. For this recipe the whites of two eggs should be close enough.

The average Grade AA Large egg weighs 1.66 ounces, of which the white comprises one ounce, or 29.5 grams. Your 68 grams of egg whites would need 2.3 whites. Go ahead and separate the 2, then separate the 3rd one into a separate bowl, whisk it a bit, and pour off about a third of it. Maybe use a spoon to spoon it out.