🔕 🔔

Best food mill?

Hi, I'm in the market for a good food mill but don't want to spend the amount for a Rosle. What's your favorite mid-priced mill that is sturdy and preferably not plastic? I'm having a hard time finding any good information. I'm going to be using it primarily for apple butter- is the mill better than a chinoise?
Many thanks!

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

asked almost 6 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

The oxo food mill, $50 enamel and stainless really nice.
http://www.williams-sonoma...
I have the cuisipro bought it about 8 yrs ago its very good but bought the oxo for a friend who loves it!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I grew up with the Foley food mill. It's a real workhorse! I always used it for applesauce, and it's perfect -- smooth and (for redskinned apples), pink.

5b7755f4 f84e 4738 be55 06b56e9c2553  dsc 0008 002
em-i-lis

Thanks, y'all! I just ordered the oxo one as it looks like the new handle on the foley is not popular. really appreciate it!

Dcca139f 78d5 41a3 b57b 6d6c96424a1c  img 7818

Like susan g, I also grew up with the Foley food mill. My mom gave me one of hers, and I really like it. It's a good value. I've never made apple butter with mine, but it should fit the bill well!

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

I would not recommend the Cuisipro. The knob of the handle kept falling off of mine, something you would not expect from such a pricey item (now even pricier). I noticed others commenting on Amazon with the same problem. The company boasts about a 25-year warranty, so I contacted them -- a few times by email, once by phone over several months -- with no response. Not until I threatened to call the attorney general in my state did I get a response -- and a new handle. My old Foley never let me down, but I wanted stainless steel, hence the Cuisipro purchase. Commenters on Amazon do seem to like the Oxo. A chinois is not the equivalent of a food mill. They serve different functions. For processing cooked apples for sauce or butter, I'd stick with a food mill.

btw, i see the Foley now comes in stainless steel -- mine is decades old -- and is very affordable.

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

I vote Foley. I'm about to invest in my second one, after about 30 years... I use mine more than I use my food processor or blender. It's my go to kitchen gadget!

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

I have the Oxo and love it! Would recommend it to everyone.

1b3f6a24 b182 450b 8d0a 54d519dc29e7  fb avatar

The old-style Foley food mills sound like they work great. I had a new model two years ago and it didn't work at all. It was cheap and never ground anything. I tried very hard to adjust it but in the end I tossed it!