🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Butternut Squash Posole with Green Tomato Pico de Gallo

C7062470 f12c 4686 9bd8 0e4787ba55be  image tjh5477

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Butternut Squash Posole with Green Tomato Pico de Gallo" from thirschfeld. It says:

"To make the chile paste place 3 dried and seeded new mexico peppers and 3 ancho peppers stemmed and seeded into a bowl of hot water. Make sure the peppers stay submerged. They need to soak for at least an hour. Process the chiles in a food processor adding about 2 tablespoons of the soaking liquid. Process till smooth. Pass the paste through a coarse strainer set over a bowl by using a rubber spatula to push it through by rubbing the spatula back and forth. This will to remove any skins and leave you with about 1/3 of a cup of chile paste that will store nicely in the fridge.
"

asked by Susan55 almost 6 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

I read it to be 3 dried and seeded new mexico peppers and 3 dried ancho peppers. I will be making this today and this is what I will do unless Tom says differently.

B37e0d63 8e93 4b21 b739 0b170f5be0fb  open uri20140612 31164 1n2e59g

that makes sense, but since it wasn't stipulated, I wasn't sure - let me know how it turns out!

256463f9 69f2 4c0c b117 de6083c021a6  cariani 001 low resolution

Anchos are always dried chilis: Anchos are dried poblano peppers, and very commonly used in Mexican cuisine. They're brownish-black and wrinkled. Substitutes: mulato (darker with earthier, more pungent flavor) or pasilla chile or California chile or dried New Mexico chile peppers (http://www.foodsubs.com...)