How long can dried black eyed peas stay in the pantry? The package, sealed up, was opened in January. Are they still good??

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles October 27, 2010

While within six months is best, dried legumes can stay okay for up to a year. So, yes, they are still good, not as good as they would have been if you eat them a few months ago, but edible nonetheless.

Kayb
Kayb October 27, 2010

And they may take a bit longer to cook.

bella s.f.
bella s.f. October 28, 2010

We found a bag of Rancho Gordo's beans in the back of our pantry. It was at least 3-5 years old. I know that common wisdom would have said to toss them. I figured, why not cook them and see what happens. I soaked them overnight, put them in a clay bean pot with fresh water, and put the pot on the stove to come to a boil. While I was waiting, I cooked a chopped onion with some garlic and added that to the pot. When the water came to a boil, I covered the pot and put it in the oven (I think it might have been 325 degrees.) I checked the beans after 1 hour and then again after 30 more minutes. They may have been the best beans I have ever made. I then created a stewy-soup-like dish with carrots, onions, roasted garlic, the bean liquid, spicy calabrese sausage, thyme, spinach (at the end) and ??? not sure if I threw in anything else. SO... give them a try. Ya never know.