Is there a real need to take the skins of beets, carrots, yams etc before roasting them if the vegetabes are organic and well scrubbed? Recipes always call for peeled veggiest before roasataing, but I usually leave the skins on and they seem to taste just fine. Is removing the skin just for aesthetic purposes? I do peel parsnips, rutabagas and squash.

• Posted by: JoanG
  • October 28, 2010

RavensFeast
RavensFeast October 28, 2010

No need to take off the skins, in fact I prefer carrots roasted skin-on. I always roast beets with the skin on, although I quickly peel them with a pairing knife once they've cooled a bit. Basically, it's whatever suits your fancy ; )

mr.ikslopot
mr.ikslopot October 28, 2010

I grew beets on the farm. Organic or not they are grown in dirt. Dirt with some stuff you would not want to consume. Eventually, that skin needs to come off.

Jon Palmer
Jon Palmer October 28, 2010

If they're clean, then you're fine. Whether you want them in the end is a matter of taste.

RavensFeast
RavensFeast October 28, 2010

Yes, but carrots are grown in dirt, and you do not need to peel them. Of course you want to wash them clean. I don't eat the beet skins because they're too tough and fibrous, but I can't imagine that eating them would be a health hazard.

Hilarybee
Hilarybee October 28, 2010

I rarely remove the skins of beets or carrots. I will only remove them if the skins are really tough or impossibly dirty. If the veggies are organic and well scrubbed, I see no problem with it.

anyone
anyone October 28, 2010

Being that I see no need to actually leave the skins on, could somebody possiby list a reason for leaving them on ? I hear alot preferences but, why leave them on?

mrslarkin October 28, 2010

I would think it's up to your personal preference and/or the recipe. Look at potatoes, some recipes call for peeled, others don't. Me, I love 'tato skins. If a veg is well washed/scrubbed, why bother, unless it's got a bruised spot, then I'd peel or just cut it out. The only exception for me would be beets - those I always peel after roasting. And isn't that where a lot of the nutrition is, anyway? In the skins?

anyone
anyone October 28, 2010

Foodshed Foodshed go away, We don't like business's here anyway, come back as a person some other day, this is a food forum not a way, to promote your business here today.

TiggyBee
TiggyBee October 28, 2010

I'm in complete agreement with mrslarkin. In fact, when beets are done roasting, the skin is so tender, that most times I can just rub the skin away with a paper towel.

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles October 28, 2010

Peeling root vegetables is really something of an aesthetic nature. People used to think it was a sign of class to eat cleanly cut, uniform vegetable pieces in their food. Nowadays, a lot of people like that organic look to their vegetables, so its really a matter of personal preference.

@DonnyG I have heard that the skin harbors the most minerals and nutrients, but really the amount inside them is negligible if you are eating them in large quantities. Also, some skins can hold onto fecal matter that is used to fertilize the vegetables, so I guess that would a reason to peel them. As long as you scrub root vegetables well, I don't think there is really any reason to peel them though, unless, that is how you like them.

anyone
anyone October 28, 2010

Thanks MR. V!

mainecook61
mainecook61 October 28, 2010

I've been an organic gardener for 40 years. One of the components of my lovely garden soil is cow manure and, sometimes, chicken manure from the hen house. I peel root vegetables if I plan to eat them raw, as the nubby skin of a carrot can harbor bits of dirt and microorganisms, no matter how hard you scrub. If I am applying heat (roasted beets, baked potatoes) I don't worry about it. I don't worry about vegetables that grow above ground (tomatoes, and so on) unless they've been splattered by mud. I am careful with melons, since the netted skin of a cantaloupe can harbor dirt.

bella s.f.
bella s.f. October 29, 2010

I use the paper towel method for taking the outer peel off of beets also. easy, easy, easy.