What can I do with celery leaves?

Have a bunch of beautiful celery leaves from my market haul this morning. Chopped the stalks for mirepoix but not sure what to do with the leaves. Ideas.

asked by Rivka about 7 years ago

They can be dried. I'll leave the cooking for others...

Kitchen Butterfly

Salads, depending on the age of the leaves. In stocks. Can be frozen too. If you like steamed greens, incorporate them into some creamy mash

Just use them anywhere you might be using parsley but like the flavor of celery. I grow the herb lovage, which is very much like celery leaves and really like it in salads.

Hi Rivka. I like to use celery leaves as a fresh herb. I chop them up into gumbo or other soups in place of parsley. I bet they'd be an interesting substitute for the mint in the yogurt sauce for your mujaddara.

usingSpoons

I often use celery leaves along with the stalks in the base of stews or for flavouring stock.
If I'm using it to flavour stock, I'm happy to freeze it, along with leftover parsley stalks.

I just stuffed a bunch into the cavity of my roast chicken.

Definitely great for stock, too.

you could also muddle some celery, celery leaves and 1 tsp turbinado. add gin and lime wedge. of course, I've never actually done this, but in my head, it sounds good! i should probably go see if this tastes good before i start doling out suggestions. brb.

Totally great answer from mrslarkin. Celery is also good, really good, in a Bloody Mary. Speaking of that, next time you get a whole lot of celery, you could leave some stalks attached to their leaves and use them for swizzle sticks.

Sasha (Global Table Adventure)

I actually like them shredded in chicken salad and in a regular salad, instead of the crunchy stalk.. just for a change of pace.

Lynd0r

101Cookboks had a recipe (well, instructions, really) for celery salt recently. I think it's just a matter of chopping the dry leaves (as in, don't wash them immediately beforehand) and mixing them with some flaky salt in a jar and storing for a little while for the flavour to permeate the salt.

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

i made simple syrup with some of mine and am using the rest on banh mi (i don't do cilantro). was thinking of posting this question myself, thanks for asking it! :)

petitbleu

Make homemade celery salt. Dry the leaves in a slow oven and mix with kosher salt to taste. It's pretty yummy.