🔕 🔔

Need gluten free alternative to hoisin sauce

Have been searching for a gluten free alternative to hoisin sauce with no luck so i am now trying to determine what the flavor profile of hoisin sauce so I can substitute. Is it just a derivative of soy sauce and would gluten free soy sauce work or are there other flavor nuances here that i should be aware of in making substitution?

asked by the mad gourmet about 6 years ago

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Premier Japan makes a gluten-free Hoisin sauce.

Ec89bac4 d90d 46fb a336 04afd14d1e80  img 1958

In addition to gluten free tamari, I would add some Chinese Five Spice, some honey, maybe a little fresh ginger and or garlic and then cornstarch to thicken it to a hoisin sauce consistency. I experimented a little trying to achieve the same flavor profile in my recipe for Curry Chicken, Kale, and Green Apple Manapua on this site.

767d528e d828 43e0 a3a5 1748a16a305b  louise avatar

It depends what you are using it for, but Hoisin Sauce has many flavours in common with barbeque sauce, so you could substitute a gluten-free barbeque sauce, and maybe add some Chinese five spice to that.