Update: editing recipes and adding photos from recipe page should now work

All, I'm crossing my fingers that when any of you visit a recipe you've created, you now see a green "edit" button as well as a green "add a photo" button below the image. Please chime in here if this is NOT the case. And finally, thanks for the patience.

• Posted by: Peter
  • October 18, 2011

wssmom
wssmom October 18, 2011

I see the edit button but no add a photo button; I am on google chrome (windows)

wssmom
wssmom October 18, 2011

I do not see it on any of them

wssmom
wssmom October 18, 2011

OK I find the photo button on my older recipes after I click the "publish" button (even though it is already published) but not on the current recipes that are in the roast contest.

sdebrango October 18, 2011

I see both the edit and add photo button on one recipe but when I checked a few others they were not there. So maybe it will take a while to show up on all the recipes.

sdebrango October 18, 2011

I didn't check all recipes but on the ones I check the edit and add photo button was there so I think its working fine. Thank you Peter!

drbabs October 18, 2011

OK, I found both, but (please don't hate me, Peter) I can also edit my roast filet mignon recipe, which is in the test kitchen right now--aren't recipes that are in the test kitchen supposed to be uneditable until the finalists are announced?

Peter
Peter October 18, 2011

Looking for a few others to weigh in. May I ask that you make sure you're logged in and then check a few recipes you've created? Do you see a green "edit" button below the photo? How about an "add a photo" button?

drbabs October 18, 2011

I imagine you know that there are speed issues, but I clicked into "my recipes" 5 minutes ago and it's still not connected.

drbabs October 18, 2011

OK, got it. When I click on the picture, I get the edit and the add photo buttons.

Peter
Peter October 18, 2011

DrBabs, do you mean you see the 'edit' and 'add photo' buttons BELOW the main photo? You said when you "click on the picture" -- you shouldn't have to click anything to see the buttons.

drbabs October 19, 2011

I used to have to click on the photo, but now both buttons are there when i click on the recipe. (Thanks!) Also, my roast recipe is editable, even though it's in the test kitchen. Finally, I use both Safari and Firefox on the Mac, and Safari is a little faster.

boulangere October 18, 2011

Yes, They're both in place, and profound thanks!. Is there a way to change the default photo that appears on a recipe?

Peter
Peter October 18, 2011

You're welcome!

As far as default photos, a few things: first, they're a bit mixed up right now as we have our old default photos showing up in a lot of places -- like in the list of recipes on your profile. On recipes though, they're working.

The way it works is that we have one image for each "dish type". We try to display the most specific "dish type" image possible. For example, if you have a recipe categorized as both "desserts" and "cakes", we'd show the "cakes" image. For your recipe for "Belle Foley's Chocolate Cake Chocolate Frosting" we show the "dessert" image because that's the only "dish type" you have applied. If you added "cakes" as a dish type to it (which makes sense to me) then the "cakes" image would show up. Now, if you have dish categorized as... say, "dessert" and "entree", well... some day I hope we give you control over the image but for now it's gonna go with one or the other -- I honestly don't recall which.

Is there somewhere specific where you think we're showing the wrong image or have bad logic in place?

boulangere October 18, 2011

Oh, no not at all. I understand you logic. There are a couple of photos I just don't especially like and I'd like someday to be able to change them. But, believe me, that may be as low priority for me as it is for you. Thank you for your thorough explanations.

boulangere October 18, 2011

I understand "youR" logic, too.

Droplet
Droplet October 18, 2011

Just reporting that the buttons are there for me too; right below the image when on the main display page of a recipe. Thanks, Peter.

Droplet
Droplet October 18, 2011

If it's alright I thought I'd also share one extra advice regarding the images: I used to work as a framer for several years and I feel that the photos will greatly benefit if you leave a thin white border around each image (a 1/16th of an inch maybe), as opposed to s direct contact with the gray border. Gray is a good neutral color given that there are a varieties of images here, but the tone of the border can greatly affect the overall way an image is perceived. I believe that if you give the images just a bit of "air" all around, it will be great. Just an advice, really.

susan g October 18, 2011

The buttons are back, thank you (PC with Internet Express) --- but here's a new one. The contributing member's photo on the left is squashed!! Feels lIke those things where you stuff in one thing and another pops out.

susan g October 18, 2011

On Firefox, same computer, the photo is fine.

Peter
Peter October 18, 2011

Susan, 1) do you mean Internet Explorer (you said Internet Express -- which I've never heard of) and 2) can you post a link to the recipe in question with the squashed image? Or is your own image you're referring to?

susan g October 18, 2011

Sorry Peter, it must be Explorer, just my computer ignorance showing.
http://www.food52.com/recipes... -- I see it here, not Firefox. And it was all recipes I checked, mine and other peoples.

mrslarkin October 18, 2011

Both buttons work for me, *but* when I just tried adding a new photo to my Zucchini-Currant Scones recipe, only my original photo appears.

On a separate note, did we get rid of recipe tags personally entered by the cooks? I liked that feature a lot. It seems to me, in the redesign, we've lost a bit of our fun personality. Say it ain't so.

And lastly, something seems to be up with the comment reply boxes, recently noticed in lapadia's Ridonkulicious Rosemary Rolls (not the correct name, but that's what I'm calling them).

Thank you, Peter and team, for your hard work!!

Peter
Peter October 18, 2011

Mrs. Larkin, 1) as Kfir noted photos might take a few minutes to show up. Do let us know if they *never* show up. ;-) 2) Indeed, for now we've done away with the user-generated tags. We found that very, very few people used them, there was very little consistency in how they used, and they rarely got clicked. I do see your point about how this removes a bit of the user voice from the recipe... hopefully we'll find other ways (or already have) to bring back some additional means of expression.

wssmom
wssmom October 18, 2011

Was there some5thing wrong with my original question?

wssmom
wssmom October 19, 2011

I ask because I can edit the current contest entries but not add a photo ....t

Peter
Peter October 19, 2011

wssmom, nothing was wrong with your question -- we're just struggling to keep up with all the questions and issues. Once a recipe is in the test kitchen, we're *supposed* to deny the ability to edit the recipe or add photos. (Though likely we'll eventually allow the adding of photos -- no harm there.) I think right now the "edit" and "add a photo" buttons are removed from the recipe itself when the recipe is in the Test Kitchen, but I bet we still have an "edit" button appearing on your list of recipes on your profile. That's a mistake on our part.

wssmom
wssmom October 19, 2011

You guys are AMAZING in how you are dealing with all of these questions!!!! Thanks so much (and I now see the 'click here to edit your recipe blah blah") on the display page!!!

monkeymom
monkeymom October 18, 2011

Hi there. I can see an edit button and an add photo button for my recipes, except the one in the current contest. I'd like to add a picture to that...do I have to wait until it is out of the test kitchen? I'm using Safari on a mac.
When I use Firefox on a mac, I don't see the buttons to edit or add photos to any of my recipes.
Thanks for you hard work on this!

monkeymom
monkeymom October 19, 2011

Hi kfir52! Firefox 4.0...wow, that's old huh? I'll just have to wait for the contest to finish to submit photos. I already added a note on the page about a recipe amendment. I have to say the slideshows that show up for some of the recipes that have them - gorgeous! Thanks!

Peter
Peter October 19, 2011

MonkeyMom, indeed Firefox 4.0 is a... "classic" version shall we say, but there's no reason that the buttons shouldn't show up there as they do everywhere else.

I hate to ask the obvious, but I have to -- are you sure you're logged in to Food52 when in Firefox? You have to be logged in to see the buttons and you have to log in to each browser individually. (You can check to see if you're logged in by looking for your name in the upper left corner of the screen -- it should say "Hi, MonkeyMom!") Do let us know.

monkeymom
monkeymom October 19, 2011

Hi Peter, You are absolutely right, I hadn't logged on. duh. It does work in firefox 4.0 on a mac. :)

Peter
Peter October 19, 2011

No worries -- I'm just glad at least ONE problem is solved. On to the rest of the list!