A question about a recipe: Andouille and Dijon Polenta

What would you use in this instead of andouille sausage, if you were feeding someone who for health reasons could not eat spicy food? Thanks so much. ;o)

512e5d4f e3b1 49bc a366 562d968cd109  120809f 665
Recipe question for: Andouille and Dijon Polenta

SKK October 20, 2011

One possibility is to take ground pork meat (make sure it has enough fat) and mix it with garlic, salt, pepper, crushed bay leaf, sage and liquid smoke (if you are a believer in liquid smoke) and cook. Andouille spices are cayenne and whatever other peppers are lurking around ready to grind. The recipe itself can hold up without the additional spices.

AntoniaJames October 20, 2011

That's a great idea! I'd probably put some fresh marjoram -- nice and assertive -- and some nutmeg in it, too. Plus some white pepper. Really looking forward to making this, now that the cooler weather is nearly upon us. Thank you so much, SKK!! ;o)

SKK October 20, 2011

I love the idea of marjoram and nutmeg! Will have to try this your way.

AntoniaJames October 20, 2011

Those are actually key ingredient in my own recipe for scrapple, which I happen to love (my grandmother was from Philadelphia). Thanks again! ;o).

boulangere October 21, 2011

My mother (from Michigan) made divine scrapple. I don't believe she put nutmeg in it, but I definitely recall notes of thyme and marjoram. And I love SKK's suggestion to begin with simple ground pork and elevate it to your very own desired level of herbal/spicy notes. White pepper alone will make a great contribution to spiciness without venturing into the depths of the pepper family.

aargersi October 21, 2011

I would probably go the lazy route and use a sweet Italian sausage ....