Is it OK to leave a tip jar out for the bartender or is that tacky?

Help us build our Holiday iPad app. Share your holiday entertaining tips.

This is from your friendly editors at Food52.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

My view (and it's only mine, mind you) is that it's tacky to ask people to contribute money when you invite them to be a guest at your house. If a hired bartender is required, you should take care of their payment and include tip. I guess I'm thinking that most guests will bring a hostess present and that should be the extent of their obligations.

wssmom

I second Niknud. If you are having a party at home with a bartender, a tip jar is tacky. As the host, I would add a gratuity onto his fee for the evening.

Robin O'D

I also agree that a tip jar for your bartender is tacky.

I agree with everyone, tacky!

TACKY!

Since no one would (hopefully) ask guests to contribute to a caterer's gratuity, the bartender's should also be the responsibility of the host-hostess.

At a private party? Absolutely not. Way tacky.

Another vote for tacky.

Helen's All Night Diner

If I went to a party and saw a tip jar, I don't think I would go back! I've actually never seen one at a private party. If I hired a caterer or bartender, I would expect to pay a tip myself. To do otherwise is just plain rude (and tacky) I invited my guests to my home, I'm not charging them admission!

Great analogy, HAND.

cookinginvictoria

Agree with what everyone else has said -- a tip jar at a party in a private home is unbelievably rude and tacky. The host/hostess should cover the gratuity of the bartender or caterer, if it was necessary to hire one.

healthierkitchen

I agree with the sage advice above. Definitely a no-no! You wouldn't have a cash bar at a party in your home so why introduce the need for guests to have cash at all?

Bevi

A thousand times NO! And I say this as a former bartender!

I had a large dinner for family last week and had a Bell canning jar on the kitchen counter. I noticed my daughter had put on it a label that said "Tip Jar for Cook". And I got tips - some money but mostly 'tips on the stock market' 'tips on how to clean the kitchen' 'tips on how to find a date (I am long time divorced'. It will now be a regular institution at all our family gatherings.

Hilarious! I love this!