🔕 🔔

Two Questions: White Chocolate and Head Colds

I am trying to melt some white chocolate for coating a truffle and it seems really thick - is there any way to thin it out that won't impact it's setting properly? Also, I have, what is possibly, the world's worst head cold. Any suggestions for a hot toddy (or cold toddy) remedy. Will have to rely on my husbands taste buds for this week's challenge tasting - he's so bummed about that! :)

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Hi--I hope you feel better soon. Try a little shortening with the white chocolate. And here are some drinks you might like: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

And a link to the hot toddy contest so you can find other recipes:
http://www.food52.com/contests...

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Thanks drbabs! How much shortening would you recommend for approx 8 oz white chocolate?

I think I'd start with a very small amount--a teaspoon or so, and add as needed till it gets to the consistency you're looking for.

For the head cold, hot peppers are great. There are mixes with cider vinegar, garlic, cayenne, for instance. Another wonderful remedy when needed, and good soup anytime, is a potent Hot and Sour Soup. When my business had a Thai restaurant move in next door, our employees would go there for the H&S Soup as needed -- always helped! http://www.food52.com/recipes... -- this recipe is for a drink with turmeric and ginger. It you put in hot sauce, it should help the head too.

No hot toddy recipes (never have had one) but hope you feel better soon! (Been there)

I love drbabs's suggestion about starting with tiny amounts of shortening added to your white chocolate. May I ask what kind of WC you are using? If the WC medallions purchased at a craft store, they contain large amounts of gloppy fats, which you'll definitely need to thin with some shortening. Use Crisco, not the house brand. Don't use butter - it behaves very differently at room temperature from Crisco. If using Baker's brand, you should actually be ok. It contains a high percentage of cocoa butter.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Thanks to everyone for the get well wishes (didn't work) and the chocolate thinning tips (they did work). I was using ghiradelli brand white baking chocolate and a tsp of crisco seemed to do the trick. Will definitely give props to drbabs for her help in the recipe. Of course, that may not be a good thing as I can't taste or smell a thing so who knows if my truffle will taste at all good.... Thanks to everyone for the toddy recipes. I ended up going with my gram's: hot lemon tea with honey and brandy. She always caveats it by saying, "And really, dear, the honey and lemon tea are optional." Great lady my gran.

Thanks for the props! I used to make chocolate covered pretzels all the time (aka period food haha) and that's what worked for me.

Bevi

In the good old days, my mom would boil a pot of water, give me a towel, and sit me at the dining room table. She instructed me to breathe in the steam with the towel tented over my head. It usually helped. It's good for a facial, too! ;-)

Droplet

You can also put a little lavender and a little mint in the water. One opens up your breathing passages and the other helps with headaches.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Sounds indulgent. Of course, I immediately picture the two heathens that live in my house running around screaming like banshees and then throw a bowl of steaming hot water into the mix. Perhaps while I'm locked in the bedroom closet? :) Thanks to all for the great suggestions. Right now I'm hopped up on cold medicine and matcha tea and trying to get through the day!

madebylis

I may be chiming in a little late here, but here's a hot toddy recipe you might like to try:

http://cocokelley.blogspot...