i have an old white truffle. it has been stored in a jar of uncooked rice. can i soften the truffle? if i can soften the truffle can i slice it and use it. would love to have some suggestions.

asked by alienor about 8 years ago

TiggyBee

How old is it?

Toss it. But save the rice you packed it in. Truffles have a useful life of only a couple of weeks or so unless they are somehow preserved. I would hate to throw away a thing as valuable as a white truffle but the thing is, if you own one, use it lavishly and right away.

TiggyBee

Pierino, I think you're right. Even if it's stored in the freezer, it would still need to be used within a certain time frame, right? I would love to hear more about the rice though and what you would do with it though.

Myself, I would use the (hopefully highly perfumed by now) rice in a risotto with other funghi such as porcini (cepe).

TiggyBee

Sounds perfect!