Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

Substitute for seville oranges? Re: "The Alchemist's Chicken" recipe

I have a question about step 3 on the recipe "The Alchemist's Chicken (Chicken Roasted with Seville Oranges, Onions and Bay)" from creamtea. It says:

"Grate zest of the two oranges, and add to the bowl of a food processor. Halve the oranges crosswise, and, holding the halves over a bowl to catch any juices, remove the seeds with a longish knife or the point of a swivel peeler (they can be very stubborn). Cut the orange halves in half again to make it easier to remove the flesh from the peel. Add the flesh to the bowl of the food processor, pulling apart into smaller sections. If any juices were collected in the bowl, strain out the seeds and add juices to the food processor bowl as well."

I know seville oranges are out of season right now, any suggestions for a substitute? Thanks in advance!

asked by madebylis about 5 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Since she says you want the combination of sweet/sour, how about one lemon and one valencia or navel orange or clementine?

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'd also consider going with a grapefruit and a sweet orange.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Unfortunately there is no super-great sub for Seville oranges in this recipe :( ! They have a very fragrant zest and distinctive flavor as they cook up (or down, rather). Though you might try clementine or lime. I've tried regular oranges, it just wasn't the same--sorry!!

But thanks for trying my recipe. Let me know what you decide to sub and how it turns out! Hope you'll try it again when Seville oranges come in (not too much longer, I think).