Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

Ideas for celery?

Just regular celery, I have a bunch and would like to use it as a side dish tonight. Also having chicken and rutabaga. I looked on this webside but most recipes were for salads with ingredients I currently don't have on hand. I tempted to gratin it. Thoughts? Thanks. Also, foodpickle is not working with the IPad for some reason, it tells me 'server is busy'.

asked by Summer of Eggplant about 5 years ago
0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

How about a creme of celery soup (onion, a small potato cubed, garlic, celery--sauteed and simmered with chicken stock and pureed) topped with sour cream and dill. Might be a bit heavy with the chicken and rutabaga tho.

You could just sautee in some garlic and olive oil and dress with some lemon juice and herbs. Maybe a touch of caraways seeds would work with that?

Oh maybe that saute suggestion some sauerkraut, onions and caraway seeds would pare well with the chicken and rutabaga. (I'm thinking German here for the side dish).

I really miss the edit button on "hotline"..So I tend to multi post to adjust...I should have said braise the celery, onion (maybe in beer) until soft, then add the sauerkraut and some caraways seed. I'd go very light on the sauerkraut element tho. Just give it a bit of acidic zing.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

This is spooky - because not 10 minutes ago, I was looking at a huge bag of celery (3 heads) I bought at Sam's (like Costco) with no particular intention. While I regularly use it as an ingredient - in soups, stews, stir fries, stuffing, etc. - or chop it up for tuna/egg/chicken salad, I've never really understood it in a starring role. Yet, I hear people rave about it. Clearly, I'm celery-challenged...and would love to be enlightened.