So I'm stuck here in TN, but spent most of my life in Pa. I'm seriously craving cheesesteaks, hoagies, etc. The problem is the roll. What they call "hoagie rolls" down here are pathetic - nothing more than large hot dog buns. Does anyone have a recipe that would make a roll that at least slightly compares to say, Amoroso or some other light chewy roll? All of mine come out dense, no matter how long I let it rise, etc.

• Posted by: javal
  • November 1, 2010

pierino November 1, 2010

Anyone who likes cheesesteaks deserves that punishment. How's the Cheezwiz today? Fresh as Velvetta! But seriously, do you give your dough a second rise? As in punching it down again and then letting it come back up again. You might also want to check out the book, THE ARTISAN BAKER'S APPRENTICE on advice for rolls like this

javal
javal November 1, 2010

Thanks Pierino - I'll check the book out. BTW, I HATE cheezewhiz! I realize it's "traditional" but it's not cheese. Provolone for me. Funny thing is, people are always talking about Pat's or Geno's and the truth is you can find better steak sandwiches in 9 out of 10 bars you walk into. When it comes to baking, I need all the help I can get. And yes, I do give it a secong rise.

kathleen440
kathleen440 November 1, 2010

What city are you in? I'd be happy to make bakery recommendations in Nashville. You won't find a true Philly-style hoagie in a restaurant in Tennessee, but there are some great bakeries around that make fluffy, top-quality sandwich rolls.

javal
javal November 1, 2010

Kathleen - I'm in Huntingdon (near Jackson). Moved here in 1999, and at that time there was a local Amish bakery that really came close to the taste of Philly rolls. Sadly they closed in 2001 and since that - no luck.

kathleen440
kathleen440 November 1, 2010

Ah, that stinks. I don't know the area well, but according to a friend of mine who went to Union, Backermann's in Whiteville is awesome, if you ever find yourself over on the other side of town.

Good luck!