Pumpkin-steam or roast?

When making pumpkin puree for baked goods (esp bread) is there a difference of steaming or roasting it? I'm particularly interested if it changes the water consistency, therefore changing the rest of the recipe?

AntoniaJames November 7, 2011

I always roast and it works beautifully. You can poke holes in the outside skin to let steam escape if you're worried about it being too wet. I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference, though. There is a lot of variation in the juiciness of pumpkins, so if it looks really wet once cooked, cut it up into small pieces (or roughly mash) and drain in a colander for a half hour or so. Also, if making a yeast bread, allow it to rest after you've combined the ingredients and started to knead, for at least 20 minutes, to allow the flour to absorb the liquid from the pumpkin. You'll have a better sense of whether you need to add more flour to achieve the right moisture level in the dough, if you do that. Good luck!! ;o)

Greenstuff November 7, 2011

I also roast. If it makes a moisture difference, it is to the better. Pumpkin has plenty of water.

Voted the Best Reply!

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon November 7, 2011

It depends on the kind of pumpkin. If a varietal like Kabocha is around I steam because the flesh is quite smooth, tight and hard. A little extra moisture helps. If it's a Sugar Pie or Spaghetti Squash I would tend to roast because I want the extra moisture to evaopate, and those varietals with more inherent water could use a bit of the "flavor concentration" that comes with roasting.

Helen's All Night Diner
Helen's All Night Diner November 7, 2011

I almost always roast. It draws out some of the liquid & deepens the flavor...