Ideas for gluten-free garnishes for a ricotta-based cream of spinach soup? Homemade ricotta, including whey, spinach, aromatics. Thank you!

Also included are finely grated Parmigiano or Pecorino Romano, some parsley while cooking, and a touch of nutmeg at the end. Need something to dress it up for company, but not interested in buying or making gluten free bread for croutons (or buying g-f croutons). Thank you so much. ;o)

How about some toasted sliced almonds? There is an epicurious recipe for sunchoke croutons that might work - when cooked they taste similar to artichokes which should go with a spinach soup. http://www.epicurious.com...

PattiinMS

What about popcorn?

Angela @ the well-worn apron

A couple of roasted or fried chickpeas (garbanzo beans) would be a tasty addition. Use Steamy Kitchen’s recipe as a guide line for roasting (http://steamykitchen.com...) or Sunset Magazine’s recipe (http://www.sunset.com/food...) if you want to fry them and then spice either recipe to fit with the soup. You’ll have more than you need for garnish but they are great to snack on.

Crispy fried shallots?

Droplet

Awhile back I saw a recipe for a spinach cauliflower soup that sounded very good. The cauliflower was in the soup, but I think it would also make a nice garnish for a spinach soup, segmented into very small florets and roasted with some olive oil.

I was just thinking about little bits of roasted something as a garnish, this morning! The crispy shallot idea got me started in that direction. Great idea! Am also thinking about an herb toasted pine nut (I have a recipe here for Savory Roasted Pine Nuts that I'd play with, somehow) . . . another hotline question, perhaps, as to what herbs go with both spinach and pine nuts. ;o)

Droplet

I, personally would just glaze them. Nutmeg tends to be a pretty strong spice, and since it is already present in there, accenting with other herbs might be hard. I like the idea of using whey liquid in the soup. I have been worried about it's flavor being off if it is served warm, but will give it a try when I have some around.

This might be obvious, but spinach and bacon like each other (think classic spinach salad with hot bacon dressing.) So, maybe some crumbled bacon or pancetta?

Love this idea! Maybe tossed with a touch of finely chopped parsley and the tiniest drop of red wine vinegar (sort of like that recipe for creamy potato soup with bacon garnish)!! ;o)

SeaJambon

Or even fried parmesan cheese "pancakes" (not sure what to call them exactly, just put some cheese in a frying pan for a short period -- viola!)