A question about a recipe: Cherry Tomato Tarte Tatin

The water amount for carelalizing the sugar was left out ... happen to know how much water to use?

1f36cd9e 6600 4feb a4f5 5bcc8d1937fa  photo
Recipe question for: Cherry Tomato Tarte Tatin

aargersi November 13, 2011

I usually just splash in enough to moisten the sugar ... more is better than less at least when I caramelize ... don't stir!!

foodfanatic
foodfanatic November 13, 2011

The recipe calls for 1/4 cup but I usually start with 2 tablespoons of water. If you want a little less caramel ( because it does spill around the pastry when you turn it out ) reduce the sugar to 1 cup .

garlic&lemon
garlic&lemon November 13, 2011

The water suggestion when carmelizing sugar is to help the inexperienced sugar melter to keep from burning the carmel by slowing down the process a little bit. The sugar does not begin to turn to carmel until all the water has boiled off anyway. Melting the sugar with no water needs your full attention the entire time because the process can go pretty quickly.

Couldn't Be Parve
Couldn't Be Parve November 14, 2011

You can add as much water as you want. The more water, the longer it will take to boil off and reach caramelization. More water makes it easier to make sure all the sugar is dissolved and caramelizes evenly but time is the tradeoff. I usually use just a tablespoon or two to start but more is safer.