I once heard someone describing a very complicated and multi-step recipe, with a "what crazy person would do that?" tone of voice. Of course was thinking, I would. Hence the lupini beans--see my previous pickle topic.

But now I can ask before I jump in. Who has made homemade bitters, and have you done it more than once?

asked by Nora over 7 years ago

CaryNC

Sure it would be much easier to buy a bottle of bitters (BTW - this month's Food and Wine magazine has a review of some different brands of bitters). But I think what makes a "foodie" is taking joy in the process of creating a food product rather than just buying a product/meal. Just my 2 cents. Have fun!

Never made it. But here's a recipe from Saveur. It sounds pretty simple. And if you start today, it'll be ready for Thanksgiving! http://www.saveur.com/article...

I tried making homemade vanilla extract once - turned into a science experiment-gone-bad. Good luck!

Mr_Vittles

Here is a video that CHOW made to show how to make orange bitters. I have done it a number of times and it is pretty easy.

http://www.youtube.com...

Other things to try: vanilla extract, limoncello, or vanilla sugar.

Nora

Thanks, mrslarkin and mr_vittles. It does look easy, so hey, why not/

I pour Bourbon over vanilla beans, let it sit a while, and it works well as vanilla extract.