I dropped 3 eggs on the kitchen floor and I can't get rid of the yolk reek...anyone have any ideas for me? It's a hard wood floor, so I can't use bleach....

asked by TiggyBee about 8 years ago

Alysia

murpheys oil soap works really well, it has a very clean smell and makes hard wood floors shine. But otherwise you could use a nail polish remover that has acetone in it, acetone quickly removes any organics, just make sure to rinse with water after.

innoabrd

careful with acetone, it can soften the finish on your floor...

To get rid of the eggy funk, cold soapy water always works for me.

Can you steam? We got a steam cleaner for our tile, maybe it would work on wood too - I LOVE it. Eureka Enviro steamer

Mr_Vittles

Spray the area with a solution of white vinegar and water probably 1 tsp to every cup.

Bevi

Trader Joe's lemon soap in a dispenser takes the smell out of anything!

Per Mr_Vittles, vinegar can be a secret weapon for all kinds of clean up. But I'll have to try Murphy's if I ever break a pasta well.

Sadassa_Ulna

I would not use acetone or steam on a wood floor; acetone could really affect the finish and steam could cause the wood to expand in an undesirable way. Do you think some egg seeped into the grooves between the boards? You could try sweeping/pressing baking soda into the grooves and then vacuuming? My husband swears by febreze, but egg is tough. Good luck!

TiggyBee

Thanks all for the great suggestions, I really appreciate it!! Yolk is tough, but finally with a combination of your suggestions, it's gone.