🔕 🔔

In the Momofuku Milk cookbook, some recipes call for clear vanilla extract. Any substitutions until I can get my hands on some?

asked by jlaw44 almost 6 years ago

Ece90812 0903 49a8 8e35 aa86c774be22  dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

Frankly regular vanilla works just fine, as long as you're not making a white icing or something that it could discolor. Same flavor and buy a high quality brand sourced in Madagascar.

Ec30261f e677 492c 9ab6 670678db31fd  dscn3372

Clear vanilla is artificial vanilla, not the real thing. I'd much sooner have my creations tinted with real vanilla than taste that nasty artificial flavour!

I agree with Mary Mary...however if you did want to get some it's at Michael's - in their cake decorating section. I got some for a white frosting [for cinnamon buns] and to be honest, it did not have very good vanilla flavor.