Red peppers: I have piles in the fridge. Need a tasty, easy dish (dairy free) that I serve along with chicken, couscous salad tomorrow evening. Thank you Picklers!

• Posted by: allie
  • November 4, 2010

mrslarkin November 4, 2010

Here's an easy-peasy one: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

drbabs November 4, 2010

And here's another easy one: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles November 4, 2010

If you are serving couscous then why not use some of you red peppers diced small in with the grains? I would saute them a bit first and toss with the couscous.

vvvanessa
vvvanessa November 4, 2010

romesco sauce. here's a food52 recipe:

rockchick
rockchick November 4, 2010

First use some in the couscous! Then, roast them and make a thick paste/sauce to go over the chicken. The recipe below looks particularly good or you can just throw the peppers in a food processor with similar seasonings you used in the couscous and puree with some olive oil and lemon juice.

http://thepioneerwoman...

Voted the Best Reply!

pierino November 4, 2010

Because I'm always thinking inside out, I would consider roasting and peeling them---doesn't take long, and then stuffing them with the couscous itself and maybe some macerated dried fruit like golden raisins or chopped dried apricot. Macerate the fruit in white wine. Drizzle with olive oil. Plate them next to your chicken.

nutcakes
nutcakes November 4, 2010

Slice 3 or 4 peppers into strips, quarter 3 or 4 tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add minced garlic and a couple spoons of capers. Any herbs you have on hand like oregano, thyme or basil. Drizzle with olive oil and roast covered in the oven for1/2 hour to one hour at 400 till they are done to your liking. Good on steak, fish, chicken eggs.

pottedherbs
pottedherbs November 5, 2010

Adapted from Mark Bittman, I have served this with chicken before as a sort of salsa accompaniment: roast the peppers, peel and give them a medium chop, add salt, sugar and a bit of soy sauce or balsamic vinegar.

campagnes
campagnes November 5, 2010

This probably wouldn't go well with a couscous dish, but it's one of my favorite quickie dishes: Dice 1 onion and 1 large red pepper; sweat in olive oil with black pepper and rosemary. Add a pound of cannellini beans, a little tomato paste, and a cup or so of chicken stock; simmer until the sauce is reduced, then salt to taste. Yum.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks November 5, 2010

Good shabbos, I assume...
or a vegan?
Molly Katzen has a nice recipe in one of her books. Cut the red peppers in half, and saute over medium high heat with olive oil and garlic, turning twice, until to the doneness that you like. Good hot, warm, cold for Saturday lunch. Enjoy!!

zest in the midwest
zest in the midwest November 5, 2010

Muhamarra. It's a middle eastern spread that is delicious and versatile. roast the red peppers and finely chop. You add reduced pomegranate molasses and chopped parsley to essentially make a paste. Sometimes I will add a little garlic or chiles to mine

Sadassa_Ulna
Sadassa_Ulna November 5, 2010

The other suggestions sound delicious so this might sound boring but I will toss in the suggestion to simply roast them. It's what I do when I have an abundance of red peppers - they are far superior to the ones in a jar. Roast them until black*, then wrap in a towel for 5 minutes. Carefully "peel" by rubbing with the towel to get most of the black bits off - hot juice will ooze out of them as you work (hence the towel) so be careful - and remove stems, inner membrane and seeds with a knife. Cut into strips and layer in a shallow bowl with your best dipping olive oil, salt and pepper. Add bits of roasted garlic and/or a little lemon juice if you like. Serve with rounds of baguette toasts. *I roast peppers by putting one on each of my four gas burners and turning each up to medium high, turning them occasionally with tongs until all sides are black. Probably not the most eco-friendly...but it works.

allie
allie November 5, 2010

I made mrslarkin's peppers -- easy and wonderful. (Yes, was for a shabbat dinner where I was cooking many courses so easy was great.)

Bevi
Bevi November 5, 2010

Roasted red pepper soup with a chicken stock base?