What's a plausible substitute for sake? I only need a tablespoon....

asked by cheese1227 almost 8 years ago

if it's only 1 tbs I would just use white wine

ChefDan

A dry sherry or white wine should be okay.

TiggyBee

What about mirin, I'm wondering if that would work?

gigiaxline

vodka?

cheese1227

Thanks all!

healthierkitchen

I'd probably go with vermouth (unless you have Shao Xing wine in the house?)

Kayb

Vermouth with just a dash of rice wine vinegar in it. Mirin's too sweet. But you can get really cheap sake in really small bottles, so think about that, as well.

cheese1227

Thanks, for the advice. Kayb I live in PA where the state controls all alcohol sales and I can't seem to find any Sake at all!

Mr_Vittles

I agree that vermouth, dry, not sweet, would do the trick. Although it is not as strong, proof-wise, it will have a similar effect on your dish.

I'll join the white vermouth party, but we still don't know what the dish is. Presumably Japanese something...

innoabrd

Vermouth, if you have it, but I wouldn't run out and buy a bottle just for 1T. Otherwise a bit of white wine should be fine. Mirin might work if it's something you're putting sugar in as well, in which case I'd reduce the sugar slightly. Kind of depends on the dish...