A question about a recipe: Tuscan Infused Olive Oil

I have a question about the recipe "Tuscan Infused Olive Oil" from Maria Teresa Jorge.

28931f54 8341 448e a115 4b0d9bc852bd  azeite last
Recipe question for: Tuscan Infused Olive Oil

Amanda Hesser November 20, 2011

Infusing oils should only be done when refrigerating the oils, and should only be kept for a week or two. The recipe has not been tested by F52. Recipes tested by us all have headnotes written by us at the top of the recipe. Maria Teresa Jorge is a great cook and has submitted many wonderful recipes to this site, however she may not realize the potential safety issues with infusing oils. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Merrill Stubbs November 20, 2011

I believe you wanted to know whether we've tested this recipe. We haven't, but if you're concerned about botulism or the oil going rancid you could just keep this in the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature a bit before using.

Maria Teresa Jorge
Maria Teresa Jorge November 21, 2011

Luciamaria, I don't have issues with shelf life, rancidity or botulism since my Infused Olive Oil is used up within a short period - less then 1 month.
I infuse Oil and after 3 or 4 days it's already good to use and a small bottle goes quickly, so less then 2 weeks I would say.
I don't like to put olive oil in the fridge but if you are concerned, put it in the fridge.
When I want to make small gifts, and want to extend the shelf life, I use dry herbs and peppers instead of fresh ones.