🔕 🔔

How early can I make cranberry relish? Trying to prepare as much as I can ahead of time...

asked by met0813 almost 6 years ago

Ece90812 0903 49a8 8e35 aa86c774be22  dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

We hear you! I would probably make the relish -- tops -- the day before. Left refrigerated, you're good to go.

75b05b31 698c 41b7 b7b0 3ef872203893  self portrait

Great news! One item moves up on the list! Thank you!!

Not sure what the food-safety mavens say about this, but I think you can safely go more than one day ahead. I usually make cranberry sauce/relish the weekend before and park them in the fridge. I've never noticed any loss of quality, and they seem just as good several days after Thanksgiving. Tthe uncooked relishes, in particular, definitely benefit from having a few days to let the flavors mingle.

There's so much acid and sugar in there, it can't be fertile ground for bacteria as long as it's kept cold.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I was just going to ask about that, I was planning on making the cranberry relish today and parking it in the fridge until T-day. I usually make it the day before but am trying to do as much as possible ahead. I don't want to take any chances with bacteria but as you say sfmiller with the sugar and acid it should not be a problem.

I just saw this: http://www.food52.com/blog...
The recipe for cranberry sauce has you make it today. Love the timeline.