🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)

3c8efe8b 201e 4bdb b436 a075cf5b4db5  2014 1030 judy bird on platter mid 036

I have a question about step 4 on the recipe "Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)" from Genius Recipes. It says:

"Place the turkey in a 2 1/2-gallon sealable plastic bag, press out the air and seal tightly. (If you can't find a resealable bag this big, you can use a turkey oven bag, but be prepared for it to leak.) Place the turkey breast-side up in the refrigerator. Chill for 3 days, turning it onto its breast for the last day. Rub the salt around once a day if you remember."

When it says to chill for 3 days do you mean a literal 72 hours? I am trying to decide when to start this method for a noon time Turkey day lunch. Thank you in advance! Happy Thanksgiving!

asked by tltut almost 5 years ago
39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

The method is actually pretty flexible -- if you can get it brining now, do, but if you can't get it in until later today, that should be fine too. (It also depends somewhat on the size of the bird.)

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

Audie Cornish interviewed James Oseland on Weekend Edition Sunday on NPR yesterday. He said " for at least eight hours or up to two days."
the link is http://www.npr.org/2011...

Here is a funny quote:
OSELAND: Me, too. This method came to me by way of the Saveur contributor, Molly Stevens, who has a wonderful book out called "All About Roasting." It calls for dry salting the bird rather than brining it. All you do is you simply salt the turkey - kosher salt is best because it's going to melt very well. You want to rub it with a lot of freshly-ground pepper. I like a good coarse grind on my pepper. And then put it on a rack, put this turkey directly into the refrigerator uncovered for at least eight hours or up to two days. And as you check on it, you're going to be kind of alarmed. It's going to look like, oh my gosh, the turkey is drying out, it needs moisture, it needs covering, it needs a hug, it needs something. But, no, just keep it in there.