🔕 🔔

I just made a yeast bread dough, only to find that my oven is not working. Any remedies? I was thinking of jerry-rigging a steamer...

I have a Dacor oven, and this appears to be due to failure of the control panel, which happened once before, about a year ago. We love the stove and had no previous problems. Has anyone had experience with this?

asked by susan g about 7 years ago

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

The problem with your oven sounds like a job for an electrician. Maybe try cooking the bread in a dutch oven, old school style over a fire. If you can't get your oven fixed I would wrap the dough with plastic wrap, stow it in a bowl, cover the bowl, and keep it in the refrigerator until your oven is fixed. Maybe you'll get sourdough?

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I can sympathize with a broken oven! Who knows how long it will take to fix, so I would freeze the dough for future and not take any chances.

But if it were pizza dough, I would recommend grilling it outdoors. It's great!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Relieved to report that the stove is fixed! By phone the repairman told me to throw the breaker, wait 30 seconds and then reset it. Maybe that will help someone else.
Another thought I had for the dough was to make English muffins. Maybe I'll try a few with a piece of dough. Thanks for the answers -- it's very reassuring to find you out there!

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

I'd go with susan g's idea, try cooking English muffins on a griddle. Otherwise, try freezing the dough. If nothing works, hey, dough's cheap. Get the oven fixed and try again. Sorry about the oven.

Another "out there" (maybe way out there) answer might be to make dim sum buns to be steamed over a wok filled with hot water. I have to admit I haven't done it, but I'd be tempted to try before tossing the dough out.

My mother's Dacor did this last summer. Took a few days of trying the breaker re-set, but eventually that worked.