A question about a recipe: Moorish Paella

8d2c3232 3ebd 4f05 b05b 753ad71700ab  102610f 227

Can chorizo be substituted for the lamb merguez in this? I'm not sure if the people who will be eating it actually like lamb and/or merguez. (Lamb is one of those "divider" foods, i've found: people either like it or, if they don't, they really don't like it.) If not chorizo, what would you use instead? Thanks so much. ;o)

asked almost 7 years ago

Slippery slope here. Morocco is a muslim country so they are not big on pork (chorizo). Maybe substitute something safe like chicken thighs or if you can sell it, goat.

Flavorwise I think Spanish chorizo would work. Andouille would be another good choice in my mind. I wouldn't worry about the religious aspect of the name of the dish, unless you are cooking for someone who would!

NWB
NWB

Merguez is a good "starter" lamb for people who don't think they like lamb. They will just think they are eating very good sausage. Chorizo is definitely a good substitute, and also compliments a lot of the other flavors in the dish. Hope it turns out well!