Author Notes: It happens every Christmas, more and more often: a friend or a family member has become vegetarian or even vegan. Of course, one can eat from the many goodies on Christmas lunch like baked potatoes that are always baked on a different tray than the turkey, several salads with mixed green and pomegranate, even the side dish apple puree. But our wonderful stuffing is certainly a no-no.Nut last year, I decided to make an extra vegetarian stuffing that it doesn't even need a bird to be cooked in.
It can be modified for vegans do, if they omit the cream. It tastes equally good.
This special Christmas stuffing is also gluten-free if one can find mushrooms grown in gluten-free environment.
This special stuffing is excellent with past.
Merry Christmas —Cookingly Yours
mushrooms (portobello or other kind)
chestnuts cooked and skinned
tablespoons olive oil
tablespoons Marsala wine or 3 tbs white wine
cup chopped parsley
milliliters fluid cream
salt, ground black pepper
- Clean the mushrooms and cuts them in thick slices.
- Roast the pine nuts in a non-stick pan for one minute.
- Chop the onion and the garlic.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add the mushrooms and let them cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic and stir.
- After some minutes, add both nuts, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Stir and let all ingredients cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the Marsala (or white) wine and let it evaporate.
- Finally add the cream and blend it with all ingredients.
- When cream turns brown, remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with some chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve warm.