- Serves 2 as main course, 4 as a side
This is a combination of several recipes: Spinach salad with Apples, Avocado & Bacon (Bon Appetit); Sautéed Radishes with Bacon (Bon Appetit); and Molly Wizenberg & Brandon Pettit's Red Wine Vinaigrette. This is the first recipe I made and thought it was SO good that I had to share it. And easy, too! —girlwithaknife
slices of bacon, chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
shallot, thinly sliced (I used a bit of yellow onion)
red wine vinegar
snap peas, sliced in half on diagonal
- In a small bowl, soak the shallot or onion slices in the red wine vinegar.
- Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat until fat begins to render, about 5 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add radishes to the bacon fat and cook, tossing occasionally, until radishes are tender, 5-7 minutes. Place them with the bacon.
- Meanwhile, prepare your spinach, avocado, and snap peas, and place them in a large salad bowl.
- Once the radishes are done, transfer the shallot (or onion) into the salad bowl and pour the remaining vinegar into the pan with the bacon fat. Then add the mustard, red wine, sugar, and salt. Whisk to blend. This is your warm salad dressing. It will turn a beautiful peachy color.
- Pour the dressing into the salad bowl, enough to coat the leaves (you'll have a little leftover dressing). Divide the salad among plates, and add the bacon and radishes on top of the individual salad portions. Sprinkle with parsley. Enjoy!