If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Living in the mushroom state requires that I eat mushrooms. It's a year round eat local requirement. This recipe bathes portabellas in an easy marinade, then a quick roast in the oven topped with more veggies for an easy vegetarian or vegan meal. *see OatandSesame.com for the 2nd recipe which includes avocado brown rice. —Oat&Sesame
- 2 large portabella mushrooms caps, marinated
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium zucchini, julienned
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan or pecorino romano (optional)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- salt and pepper, to taste (Aleppo is delicious on these)
- 1/2 cup sherry cooking wine or other cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (or dark)
- PREPARE THE MUSHROOMS
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms. With a wet paper towel or mushroom brush, clean the mushroom tops so they are free of any dirt. Combine the marinade ingredients in a plastic bag and add the mushrooms. Marinate for at least 30 minutes up to 24 hours. Toss the mixture a few times during the marinade process. When your ready, roast the mushrooms on a foil lined rimmed baking sheet for 20 minutes at 400F, flipping the mushroom halfway through. While the mushrooms are roasting, prepare the pine nuts, zucchini noodle & tomato mixture.
- PREPARE THE PINE NUTS, ZUCCHINI & TOMATOES
- In a small skillet, heat the pine nuts until just starting to brown, tossing as they heat. Set aside. Cut the tomatoes in half, place in a bowl and season with salt. Set aside. Using a julienne peeler or spiralizer, make the zucchini noodles. If the zucchini is particularly watery, you can blot it with a paper towel. Otherwise, when there is about 5 minutes left on the mushrooms, proceed to heat a small skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the zucchini noodles and cherry tomatoes. Heat for 3-4 minutes, tossing a bit while you go, until tomatoes start to wilt and zucchini is heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
- Once the mushrooms are tender, remove and sprinkle with sea salt (I used Maldon finishing salt available here) and the chopped thyme. Plate the mushrooms, top with zucchini tomato mixture. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts, cheese and fresh parsley.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe