As much as I love everything about cooking Thanksgiving dinner I stress about one thing....the gravy! A vegetarian friend came to the rescue offering up her vegetarian gravy. Through the years it has been tinkered with and has become my "go to" recipe any time I need the perfect gravy for both vegetarians and carnivores. It can be used on mashed potatoes, vegetables, stuffing and even turkey! You can use any type of dried mushroom. I have used shitake mushrooms but mixed dried mushrooms will provide more interesting flavors. To make a vegan version substitute olive oil for the butter and additional broth for the cream. - sticksnscones —sticksnscones
Test Kitchen Notes
Sticksnscones' mushroom gravy solves nearly every Thanksgiving dilemma there is. It's vegetarian-friendly, requires no pan drippings (ideal for when you're deep-frying your bird or when brining has rendered the drippings too salty), and comes together in no time, yet hides deceptively deep layers of flavor -- umami-rich dried mushrooms fortify the stock, and sauteed shallots, soy sauce, fresh thyme and sherry round out the rich but balanced sauce that we'd like to pretend is actually a soup. Heads up: One time we tested it, we accidentally used just 2 tablespoons of flour and ended up really liking that too -- it was less creamy and voluptuous, more free-flowing with a concentrated hit of mushroom flavor and color. - A&M —The Editors
- Prep time 30 minutes
- Cook time 25 minutes
- Serves 6
dried mushrooms(shitake or mixed)
1 1/2 tablespoons
minced fresh thyme
salt and pepper, plus more to taste
- Bring vegetable stock to a boil. In a small bowl pour stock over mushrooms. Let soak for 20 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from bowl, setting the stock aside for later. Mince or thinly slice the mushrooms.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter. Add the minced shallot and saute for 5 minutes over medium heat until softened.
- Add the flour to the butter/shallot mixture stirring constantly. Cook for a 2 minutes.
- Gradually add 1 1/2 cups of the reserved vegetable stock(leaving mushroom sediment out), stirring well to incorporate after each addition. Cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Add the reserved mushrooms, soy sauce, cream, sherry & thyme to the gravy. Cook for a few more minutes until heated through and thickened to desired consistency. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Pour over anything on your plate!