If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Tell us about your recipe. —Alexandra Richards
- 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 8 ounces fresh crimini mushrooms
- 16 ounces fresh portobello mushrooms
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 ounce dried chantrelle mushrooms
- 1 ounce ried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 fresh large carrot
- 2 or 3 fresh medium celery stalks
- 3 large leaks
- 1 sweet yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound miyokos vegan butter
- 1 cup sherry wine
- 4 small fresh sprigs thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced thyme leaves
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 8 hours)
- 3 cans full fat coconut milk (coconut cream reserve only)
- 1 bottle of orginal ripple plant based half and half
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 32 ounces pacific foods mushroom broth
- 1/2 cup fresh minced parsley optional
- cover and soak all dried mushrooms in hot water for thirty minutes so they plump up and the water turns a deep brown.
- lean the mushrooms by wiping them with a dry paper towel. Don't wash them! Separate the stems, trim off any bad parts, and coarsely chop the stems. Slice the mushroom caps 1/4-inch thick and, if they are big, cut them into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- To make the stock, heat the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large pot. Add the chopped mushroom stems, the whole onion (skin and all), carrot, celery the 4 sprig of thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. Add 32 ounces of mushroom stock, dried mushroom stock and squeeze the mushrooms, and additional water if needed, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Strain, reserving the liquid. You should have about 4 1/2 cups of stock. If not, add some water.
- mince the all the reconstituted mushrooms. set aside
- Blend the coconut cream, plant based half and half, and cashews all together. reserve about 2 1/2 cups (use the rest for whipping cream just by adding powder sugar and vanilla paste)
- Meanwhile, in another large pot, heat the remaining 1/4 pound of butter and add the leeks. Cook over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, until the leeks begin to brown. Add the sliced mushroom caps, and minced mince the all the reconstituted mushrooms, and cook for 10 minutes, or until they are browned and tender. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the sherry wine and stir for another minute, scraping the bottom of the pot. Add the mushroom stock, minced thyme leaves, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the plant based half-and-half, coconut cream, and cashew mixture and parsley, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and heat through but do not boil. Serve hot.