There are so many great conversations on the Hotline—it's hard to choose a favorite. But we'll be doing it, once a week, to spread the wealth of our community's knowledge—and to keep the conversation going.
Today: Wedding season is fast approaching—here are some of the best items to add to your registry. (Psst—they also make great gift ideas for the weddings you'll be attending this year.)
Wedding bells will soon be ringing for Gourmel—and not only is she excited to tie the knot, but she’s really excited to register! She turned to the Hotline to get recommendations for her wedding registry, and you, of course, had so many good ideas. (What she didn’t know when she asked, is that Food52 will soon be rolling out our very own wedding registry—read more about it here.)
Here are your suggestions for the essential items to add to a wedding registry:
- Nancy votes for a Lodge cast iron pan since it lasts forever.
- Aargersi suggests adding nice bakeware, like a tart pan with a removable bottom and a pie plate (and PieBox for good measure).
- Stephanie recommends Pyrex cookware, stainless steel mixing bowls, and placemats with a matching set of cute kitchen towels.
- Creamtea tells Gourmel to go for a Kitchen Aid mixer and some of the accessories (“such as the pasta roller, food grinder, and ice cream maker”), as well as some really great cookbooks that have stood the test of time.
- ChefJune encourages "plumb[ing] the depths of your desires" and registering for absolutely everything you wish for. And don't forget to include really nice wine glasses, too.
- SexyLAMBCHOPx uses the dinnerware and flatware that she received as a wedding present every day.
- Cookinginvictoria suggests high-quality coffee equipment, such as a burr grinder or a beautiful French press.
- Meaghan F suggests asking for upgrades of the things you use every day (such as a pepper mill or an olive oil cruet).
- Ktr says: “We registered for camping supplies and things for our dogs that we wanted but would not have been able to buy for awhile, and, again, people loved the different options.”
- AntoniaJames insists on crystal and elegant glass water pitchers, and 2 or 3 matching or coordinating vases in different sizes and shapes.
- Bevi suggests half sheet pans and a cooling rack that fits right inside the half sheet pan for cooling cakes, drizzling cookies and cupcakes, and other jobs. Also, a gravy boat.
- Scruz likes 100% cotton kitchen towels ("that can be bleached when soiled"), kitchen mitts, small glass jars for storing bulk spices, and an immersion blender.
- TheFritschKitchen says: “Make sure you also get good knives! (I recommend Victorinox.) And a knife sharpener.”
What are (or were) your favorite things to register for? Is there anything you wished you had (or hadn't) received? Tell us in the comments below.