Life moves pretty fast, as Ferris Bueller says. Here's a selection of our favorite stories from the site this week.
- Our latest contest wants to know what your best one-pot meal is. P.S. There's a prize!
- Amanda taught us to fashion a bike rack with just one little hardware-store buy.
- We made matcha ice pops and pretended summer would last forever.
- Leslie walked us through the best way to defrost any frozen fish.
- And we learned more about Sarah, our Contributors Editor (and SCOBY queen).
- We launched some beautiful canvas bags in partnership with cookbook author Heidi Swanson and San Francisco artisan àplat.
- We also launched an advice column!
- Joanne Chang guided us through our baking-with-less-sugar challenges.
- And we did a little fall trend forecasting. (Cast your votes!)
- Kristen told us about a Genius way to handle peppers (that won't make our fingers—or eyes—fiery and sore).
- Our editors put out a call for Portland, Oregon, recommendations! Kenzi and Leslie are eating their way through the city for Feast Portland.
- We debated whether pricey chocolate chips are worth it, and whether microwaves deserve the counter space.
- And finally figured out what to put up on the big, blank walls of our homes.
- Plus: Sara Forte joined us for lunch! Here's how we pulled it off.
- Gena Hamshaw taught us everything we need to know to stock a vegan pantry.
- And we learned about what a South Bronx program is doing to instill a love of good food in the neighborhood's kids.
- Fiveandspice taught us the magic cocktail ratio (just in time for the weekend).
- We stepped into Emma Aubry Roberts' shoes and pretended we were professional bakers.
- And excitedly read Leslie's and Kenzi's first dispatches from Portland. (Sandwiches! Secret sauces!)
- Sarah took us behind the scenes of the Baking book. There may have been a few early-morning disasters.
- We mused on the kitchen sounds we like best.
- And learned about a new cookbook—the proceeds of which go to increasing food aid for Syrian refugees.
- Kenzi shared some straight-from-Portland wisdom about how to pair donuts with coffee.
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday photos by James Ransom; Friday photo by Alpha Smoot