Tripe. Crab cakes. Any red meat whatsoever. Baked Alaska.
What do those foods have in common? They're all on the list of foods I still haven't eaten, either because I haven't had the opportunity or because I don't really want to.
There is simply no way to try all the foods (though when I asked Ali if she had tried escargot, foie gras, caviar, Baba au Rhum, a Pop Tart... she said yes to every single item until the game got old and I gave up).
And that's a good thing: Having a running list of new foods to try is what keeps eating exciting and inspiring.
From strawberry milk to haggis, here are of the foods on our team's "Have Not Tried List":
- Lamb brains
- Yak milk
- I feel like there are a million snack foods I haven't tried, mostly because I lived a fairly food-sheltered life as a kid. Our snacks were carrot sticks. So by the time I could eat snack food, I was mostly past the stage of being super interested.
- I've never tried Vegemite because I once tried Marmite and didn't like it. That was years ago, though. Since I like every other version of umami it's probably time for a do-over.
- I have also never had chop suey, Spam, Fruity Pebbles, strawberry milk, that cheese with maggots in it, or blowfish. Do I need a reason?
- Blood pudding
- I've only been to McDonald's once.
- I haven't had a lot of British and/or Scottish foods, like haggis, but I think I'm okay without it.
- I've wondered if I could eat dog. I think I could.
- Guinea pig
- Doritos shell tacos from Taco Bell
- Insects. I would be down.
- All the future sausages I was going to eat before I decided to go anti-sausagetarian on Monday.
- The "love knots" my grandma made for my dad when he was growing up; I have the recipe, but they're deep-fried and I'm afraid of blowing up my apartment.
- Any and all street food in Singapore—actually all street food, period. I have a lot of work ahead of me.
- Have never tried blintzes. Are they savory or sweet? Confusing.
- Nor cashew cheese, nor Soylent, nor pickled potatoes.
- I'd like to try durian, buuuut I'm really sensitive to bad smells, so I'm not sure if I could get past its offensive aroma.
- I really want to try reindeer because we have my great-great grandmother's recipe (she was Sami, and it's a delicacy).
- Also, blood sausage. I've never tried it, but the whole idea sort of gives me the willies, even though i know it's supposed to be good.
- I have also never eaten a Twinkie.
- Matzo ball soup! My great grandmother was Jewish, but, sadly, my family never carried on any culinary traditions.
- I've also never had Rice Krispie treats, is that weird?
- I will almost certainly never eat an oyster, but I am endlessly curious. Is it like making out with a shellfish?
What foods are on your "Must Try" or "Will Never Try" list? Tell us in the comments!