If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Of all the ways to preserve, making jam is probably one of the finest. You cook pleasantly blushing fruits, some sugar, and a squeeze of lemon, and a few hours later you have a pot full of sweet, bubbling jam that is prime for spreading on morning (or afternoon, or evening) toast. But just like with anything else, too much of a good thing can still be too much.
As avid jam lovers (we've stuffed it into doughnuts, added it to pie, and even recruited a professional to show us how to make some pickled jam that we cannot stop eating right out of the jar), we're pretty familiar with this problem. And it turns out, we're not alone: Over on the Hotline, Fredrik Backman is looking for any ideas to use up heaps of jam.
Here's what you all had to say:
- Lleello is full of neat ideas, and suggests making a jam tart, using it as an intriguing sweetener in baked goods, or using it to marinate chicken or pork.
- For an interesting hors d’oeuvre, Nancy like to mix jam with savory spreads like mayo, yogurt, or soft cheese. She also recommends spreading it between layers of cake and using it as a filling in sweet omelettes and crepes.
- Ktr likes to keep things simple, and stirs it into plain yogurt.
- QueenSashy uses tart jams in savory paninis (and is especially fond of a red pepper jam, arugula, Swiss cheese, and avocado sandwich situation).
- Diana B calls for a savory jam glaze for meat, and creamtea agrees, urging a combination of jam, wine, mustard, and shallots.
- Amysarah also supports this meat and jam mix up, but additionally recommends dolloping jam in any muffin batter.
- Your Guardian Chef likes to make a crostata, which she prefers to slice into biscuits and serve alongside tea. (If she were to follow another piece of lleello's advice, she could stir some of the jam into her tea as well!)
- While HalfPint relies on her old standard (our new standard): a gin and jam cocktail.
Now that you've used up all your jam, are you ready to make more?:
What other ideas can you think of to help us out of this jam? Let us know in the comments!