When he's not busy running the cocktail program at New York City's Maialino, Erik Lombardo is giving us the rundown on all things spirits -- and showing us the best ways to drink them.

Today: The holiday drink of all holiday drinks -- minus the preservatives and the long ingredient list, plus the booze. 

Eggnog from Food52

Shop the Story

I thought I hated eggnog. I can clearly remember my eight-year-old self walking down the dairy aisle in the grocery store and being absolutely baffled that anyone would buy that electric yellow, glutinous liquid with a list of ingredients as long as your arm, holiday spirit or no. It didn’t help that I grew up drinking a Puerto Rican version of eggnog made even more delicious with coconut and sweetened condensed milk, but really I like to think I could just spot a phony: According to the FDA, store-bought eggnog can contain as little as 1% egg yolk solids, which in a drink that owes half its name to the egg makes you wonder about the other 99%. Occupy eggnog!

My incredulity disappeared the day I tried my first flip: Rich, creamy, silky, and boozy, this is exactly what eggnog is supposed to taste like. While drinks that use egg white, like classic fizzes and traditional sours, have a light and frothy profile, flips use either the whole egg or the yolk specifically, giving them a rich and silky texture by adding fat to the cocktail. 

More: Want a frothier flip? Try this Apple Blow Fizz.

In fact, a flip is basically uncooked custard made in a cocktail shaker. When making custard, eggs and sugar are slowly added to hot milk or cream until thickened. When making a flip, these same ingredients interact, but in the iced environment of a cocktail shaker. The thickening of a flip is due to the thorough emulsification of the egg.

Eggnog from Food52

Like many of the best cocktails, the origins of the word eggnog are lost to the booze-soaked, addled pages of history, but the two theories thrown around most often attribute it to a contraction of either ‘egg n’ grog’, meaning egg and rum, or to the small wooden cup it was traditionally served in, called a noggin. 

You can spike your nog with anything you like -- rum, bourbon, and brandy are the most common. If you use rum, pick out a nice funky Jamaican rum like Smith & Cross. For bourbon use a soft and fruity bourbon like Buffalo Trace. The traditional garnish is nutmeg, though I find adding a bit of cinnamon does no harm at all -- just avoid committing the sin of using pre-ground spices (I understand it’s a hate crime in civilized countries) and have a small spice grater and an actual nutmeg and cinnamon stick handy.

This recipe is for a single glass of eggnog, but feel free to batch it up for a party, though you might want to invest in an immersion blender to give your shaking arm a rest if you’re serving for more than a couple of guests.


2 ounces rum, brandy, bourbon, or a combination
3/4 ounce cream
3/4 ounce simple syrup
1 egg yolk

See the full recipe (and save it and print it) here.

Photos by James Ransom 

Food52's Automagic Holiday Menu Maker
View Maker
Food52's Automagic Holiday Menu Maker

Choose your holiday adventure! Our Automagic Menu Maker is here to help.

View Maker

See what other Food52 readers are saying.

  • PaynefulPleasures
  • S. Rodriguez
    S. Rodriguez
Erik Lombardo

Written by: Erik Lombardo


PaynefulPleasures December 19, 2020
My biggest addiction EGGNOG love it thank you for sharing this recipe I'm on it adding this to my cheesecake recipe like I do with traditional eggnog will definitely be the wow factor thank you 🤗😘🎅⛄🥂
S. R. October 28, 2014
I LOOOOOOVE eggnog!! I believe this is probably the easiest and most straightforward receipe I have ever had the pleasure of trying. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! The Puerto Rican version sounds tastey too...