Jenny is in perpetual search for easy, weeknight recipes to attempt to feed her family. When they balk, she just eats more.
Today: Everyone needs a new favorite cake. Here's yours.
I know you think you do not need another birthday cake recipe, but here are five cogent reasons to get you to make Sam's Favorite Chocolate Cake:
1. I made it for a work potluck the other day, and my coworkers were so beguiled they completely forgot about the incident involving raised voices and threats of quitting.
2. The headnote will make you weepy, unless you have a heart of a jawbreaker.
3. Jam in cake is good. Really good.
4. The frosting is the perfect mix of sinful and enriching. Also, easy.
5. Everyone needs a new favorite cake. This will be yours.
Makes 1 cake
3/4 cup cocoa
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
2 cups boiling water
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups flour
2 scant teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup good quality sour cherry jam
Photos by James Ransom
A New Way to Dinner, co-authored by Food52's founders Amanda Hesser and Merrill Stubbs, is an indispensable playbook for stress-free meal-planning (hint: cook foundational dishes on the weekend and mix and match ‘em through the week).Order now