-made a boring pureed broccoli soup with veg stock, broc, milk, garlic, s&p, cumin, cayenne. how to make it more interesting?

asked by @betsysbites about 8 years ago

Lots of parmesan cheese.

adoozy

a dollop of ricotta, if you happen to have some

Swirl in a dollop of sour cream/creme fraiche, then snip fresh chives over the top, so as to make it fancy-like. Serve in your best china.

I like the cheese ideas, too. Maybe some grated sharp yellow cheddar over top. And the fancy china.

Some nice garlicky-cheesy croutons would be nice to scatter over the top of the soup, in the fancy china.

Sadassa_Ulna

With the cumin and cayenne you could take it in an Indian direction, maybe add some fresh grated ginger and curry powder or garam masala? Or Mexican, cilantro or lime zest? Bits of roasted red pepper or black olives? Bacon makes everything better!

JenniferF

a swirl of good greek yogurt.

Kitchen Butterfly

I toast some more cumin seeds, then roughly crush them and stir them in to the soup, along with maybe some caramelised onions! I would also get some pecorino/parmesan/manchego shavings and finish off with garlicky, lemony croutons (mix a tablespoon of olive oil, with a tablespoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of lemon zest, add 1 minced garlic clove and a touch of fresh, chopped herbs or dried. Stir together, season with s & p and then toss some bread cubes in. Fry or oven bake on high and let cool a bit when ready)/

I see a bunch of us are on the cheese page here. My own choice would be a really strong cheddar. Like a mouth puckering one... In which case I would leave out the cumin. I don't think it combines well with cheese. Or with broccoli for that matter.

CaryNC

Cheese and bacon bits - yum! Unless you are keeping it vegetarian of course.

innoabrd

Good Spanish pimenton! The smokey undertone it gives would work well, me thinks.

NakedBeet

Yeh, I'd go with cheese and a really good bread, a la onion soup.