🔕 🔔

-made a boring pureed broccoli soup with veg stock, broc, milk, garlic, s&p, cumin, cayenne. how to make it more interesting?

asked by @betsysbites about 7 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Lots of parmesan cheese.

47ba851a 111c 4bd7 896e 3c7d28a82fd9  img 2866

a dollop of ricotta, if you happen to have some

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Swirl in a dollop of sour cream/creme fraiche, then snip fresh chives over the top, so as to make it fancy-like. Serve in your best china.

I like the cheese ideas, too. Maybe some grated sharp yellow cheddar over top. And the fancy china.

Some nice garlicky-cheesy croutons would be nice to scatter over the top of the soup, in the fancy china.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

With the cumin and cayenne you could take it in an Indian direction, maybe add some fresh grated ginger and curry powder or garam masala? Or Mexican, cilantro or lime zest? Bits of roasted red pepper or black olives? Bacon makes everything better!

338c2250 efb0 45de 857e 0fb58ee1ac7d  photo 418

a swirl of good greek yogurt.

C405edfb eff8 43c8 8d2a 9c901ad00568  ozoz bw january2014

I toast some more cumin seeds, then roughly crush them and stir them in to the soup, along with maybe some caramelised onions! I would also get some pecorino/parmesan/manchego shavings and finish off with garlicky, lemony croutons (mix a tablespoon of olive oil, with a tablespoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of lemon zest, add 1 minced garlic clove and a touch of fresh, chopped herbs or dried. Stir together, season with s & p and then toss some bread cubes in. Fry or oven bake on high and let cool a bit when ready)/

I see a bunch of us are on the cheese page here. My own choice would be a really strong cheddar. Like a mouth puckering one... In which case I would leave out the cumin. I don't think it combines well with cheese. Or with broccoli for that matter.

Cheese and bacon bits - yum! Unless you are keeping it vegetarian of course.

Good Spanish pimenton! The smokey undertone it gives would work well, me thinks.

A9a4b5a8 c8a5 45de bfda 445662f02fec  picture 2

Yeh, I'd go with cheese and a really good bread, a la onion soup.