🔕 🔔

I recently made a yam soup. The base was a vegetarian broth and three nice size yams that were roasted and then pureed with the stock. The consistency and color were beautiful but I was a little stymied with the seasonings. I pureed three gloves of garlic that had been used in the stock with the yams and added some smokey paprika and a little cayenne. A dollop of sour cream and parsley for the finish. No complaints from the family but I think it could have been really great is I had used something else for seasoning/flavor. Any suggestions?

asked by Loves Pie almost 7 years ago

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I'd add a bit more garlic, but I love lots of garlic. Also, try using a more flavorful pepper for your spice. Cayenne is great for heat, but chipotle adds great full-flavored smokiness and goes particularly well with yams. I often add a dash of allspice to yams or butternut squash to give a middle level of flavor between sweet and spicy. Mix a bit of ground chipotle and a dash of lemon juice into the sour cream to make the garnish more interesting. I also love to toss chopped green onions over soups for a bit more zest than parsley.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

How about natural peanut butter.

Curry powder reinforced with cumin seeds, roasted and ground, and coriander seeds, roasted and ground, at a ration of 3 (curry powder) : 2 (ground cumin) : 1 (ground coriander). Juice of a lime and a huge handful of cilantro, chopped, added before serving. Plus lots of sauteed onions and garlic, and perhaps some minced fresh ginger = the garlic used. ;o)

I like to use a mix of sweet potato and butternut squash and add apples and a little bit of tomato. Might sound like a weird mix, but it add sweetness and acidity and I think it's very, very yummy.