I recently made a yam soup. The base was a vegetarian broth and three nice size yams that were roasted and then pureed with the stock. The consistency and color were beautiful but I was a little stymied with the seasonings. I pureed three gloves of garlic that had been used in the stock with the yams and added some smokey paprika and a little cayenne. A dollop of sour cream and parsley for the finish. No complaints from the family but I think it could have been really great is I had used something else for seasoning/flavor. Any suggestions?

beyondcelery
beyondcelery November 17, 2010

I'd add a bit more garlic, but I love lots of garlic. Also, try using a more flavorful pepper for your spice. Cayenne is great for heat, but chipotle adds great full-flavored smokiness and goes particularly well with yams. I often add a dash of allspice to yams or butternut squash to give a middle level of flavor between sweet and spicy. Mix a bit of ground chipotle and a dash of lemon juice into the sour cream to make the garnish more interesting. I also love to toss chopped green onions over soups for a bit more zest than parsley.

hardlikearmour November 17, 2010

How about natural peanut butter.

AntoniaJames November 17, 2010

Curry powder reinforced with cumin seeds, roasted and ground, and coriander seeds, roasted and ground, at a ration of 3 (curry powder) : 2 (ground cumin) : 1 (ground coriander). Juice of a lime and a huge handful of cilantro, chopped, added before serving. Plus lots of sauteed onions and garlic, and perhaps some minced fresh ginger = the garlic used. ;o)

jenmmcd
jenmmcd November 17, 2010

I like to use a mix of sweet potato and butternut squash and add apples and a little bit of tomato. Might sound like a weird mix, but it add sweetness and acidity and I think it's very, very yummy.