A question about a recipe: Monkey (Ginger)Bread

10ab5d4e d390 48a8 a3de 31bb99a2fa04  121410f 432

Is there any substitute to molasses?

asked by Sarile almost 7 years ago

Sadassa_Ulna

I am not sure what the recipe's author would suggest, but I would replace the 1/4 cup molasses with 3 Tablespoons dark brown sugar (packed) and 1-2 tsp. water and 1 tsp lemon juice or neutral flavor vinegar (because molasses is more acidic than sugar).
I would mix those together in a small cup, adding the water last. I would try to get a very thick consistency and not too runny. Please know I haven't done this before specifically but my suggestion is based on general food substitution recommendations.

The Spiced Life

Dark corn syrup would work, although the flavor will be much less pronounced.

Louisa

Sorghum is much milder than molasses, and I always use it in place of molasses. But if you don't have sorghum, I agree with the dark corn syrup, or what about honey?

Here's a useful site: http://www.foodsubs.com... . Read the entry for molasses all the way to the end. You can use brown sugar, following the suggested ratio. ;o)