Can I substitute cake flour for all purpose flour?

I need to make cookies and I'm out of all purpose flour. I have a box of cake flour that I would love to use instead of getting in the car. Thanks!

asked by ourlastsupper over 6 years ago

Hilarybee

If you are just making a substitution and not trying to alter the results, you will likely need to use a touch more cake flour than you would AP flour. if the recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups AP Flour, I'd do 2 3/4 cups cake flour. If you are playing around with the recipe, trying to achieve a different goal- like a softer cookie, more delicate crumb- you will have to play around with the amount of flour. The best way to know how much cake flour to use would be to get a kitchen scale out. Weigh out a cup of AP and a cup of cake flour. Keep adding cake flour until it reaches the weight of the AP.

It is softer and has a lower protein content but I have heard you can: To substitute cake flour for all-purpose flour use 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour for every cup of all-purpose flour

Read more: http://www.joyofbaking...

Because of the lower protein content of cake flour compared to AP (7% vs. 10%), I'd suggest also adding an extra egg.

Lexie

I have substituted it with no problem. May e the result is not exactly the same but it is good anyway. Do not forget to sift the dry ingredients

dotparker

Why sift?

Because cake flour is so finely ground that it is notoriously clumpy. If you don't sift the dry ingredients, you'll likely see lumps in what you are making and in order to break them down, you'll mix or beat it longer and harder, which leads to a tougher end result, be it a cake or a cookie or a muffin.

Janice

Can I substitute cake flour only instead all-purpose flour when making biscuits?

Douglas

As others have said, the main difference is the protein vs. carbohydrate content. This is most important in kneaded bread, which absolutely needs hard summer wheat with a high protein content. Cookies do not need gluten development so the protein in them is either insignificant or even a negative, so I would say cake flour in cookies would be perfectly good.