🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Nectarine Slump

1501fca0 8111 424c b99b c7721f2b5f5b  nectarine slump

I'm intrigued by the cheese plus fruit combination here, but have been asked to make an apple dessert. (I'm also dying to try mrslarkin's mascarpone recipe, now that my Meyers are finally ripe.) If you wanted to make this with apples, would you cook the sliced apples before covering with the dough and baking? Would you cut the apples into small chunks? I have some really gorgeous, somewhat tart but perfectly crisp Braeburns. I'm thinking about adding a few toasted, sliced almonds, too. Thanks, everyone. ;o)

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

I'm sure Amanda will weigh in here, but yes, I would saute the apples in a little butter before putting them in the pan -- just until they start to soften.

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Yes -- what Merrill said!

That topping just doesn't sound appealing with apples to me. I'd stick to the apple / aged cheddar pairing, something I seldom think of and that I tend to think others don't either, beyond the fruit and cheese platter. Or maybe a dolce latte gorgonzola mixed into the marscarpone.