question for you bakers out there. Can you substitue oat flour for all purpose flour with out making adjustments?

drbabs November 14, 2010

What are you making? Quick breads and muffins are generally more forgiving than cakes, cookies and biscuits, so I'd try it on those first. If you're using oat flour to make something gluten-free, there are great resources on the web. Check out the blog elana's pantry. http://www.elanaspantry.com/

leftoverquiche
leftoverquiche November 14, 2010

I just made muffins from a recipe I've never used before. It called for 2 3/4 Cup APF and I substituted 3/4 of that with oat flour. The batter ended up VERY dry. I added more liquid until it was the consistency of muffin batter. They seam to have turned out fine.
I just wonder if it was the flour exchange that made it dry or if someone wrote the recipe wrong. Or maybe it was suppose to be that dry??

beyondcelery
beyondcelery November 14, 2010

Oat flour absorbs liquid more readily than most flours in my experience, so it was probably the flour switch that made it dry. I usually combat this by adding (like you did) more liquid--try things like orange juice or soymilk for different flavors. If you're just trying to make your muffins more hearty, substituting oat flour in a smaller quantity should also work. I have a general rule to keep it to about 1/2 cup substituted flour for a 12-muffin recipe.

Oat flour has a much lower gluten content than regular all-purpose flour, so you can't substitute oat flour completely for APF without making some sort of adjustment. Your recipe won't hold together. (In fact, oats are naturally gluten-free; it's the processing methods that add a gluten content to some oat products.)

mrslarkin November 14, 2010

I've never used oat flour, except ground up oatmeal in cookie dough. Makes cookies chewy. I'm guessing oat flour will absorb a lot of liquid, hence you dry muffin batter. Good call on adding more liquid!

Sveet Vred
Sveet Vred July 19, 2016

do you mean in addition to the wheat flour? if so, yeah, but not necessarily true for using the oat flour as your base. i go 100% oat flour and adjust mixture accordingly.

spiffypaws
spiffypaws November 14, 2010

AP flour is 60% bread flour, 40% cake flour. You're not going to get the same structure.

leftoverquiche
leftoverquiche November 14, 2010

I added about a cup more liquid (milk & tad bit of oil). They baked up perfectly and taste great. The texture is perfect. Lesson learned.
Thanks for your comments.

Sveet Vred
Sveet Vred July 19, 2016

ehhhh... great for banana bread, but when i've used 100% oat flour in my chocolate chip cookie recipe, the cookies are very crumbly. i don't think the binding properties of oat vs. wheat are similar. i've read to use the ratio for every 1 cup of oat flour add 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder. continue to use baking soda as recipe requires. but i use a whole bag of mini chocolate chips in my recipe, so the chocolate definitely helps the oat flour to bind ~! happy baking.

Ethan
Ethan January 19, 2019

So is it a 1:1 ratio? I see you add more baking powder when using oat flour, does it come out with the same consistency or fluffiness when you use more baking powder? Like...for every 1 cup of oat flour use 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder to get the same consistency (fluffiness) of All-Purpose flour? If I have a recipe that calls for 2 1/2 cups of All-Purpose Flour, can I use the same amount of Oat Flour and just add more baking powder?

What about using Arrowroot Flour in combination with the Oat Flour?

Pat
Pat August 21, 2018

What is 1/4 of 1&1/2cups

Tracy
Tracy September 2, 2018

convert 1 1/2 to an improper fraction = 3/2. then multiply 1/4 and 3/2 = 3/8. hope that helps. :)