🔕 🔔

Salmon season... How much do you cook previous not-deep-frozen salmon?

Now plenty of good fresh, and wild, salmon on the market. Good quality, but probably not sushi level. Good price too. Sockeye, coho for $10/lb.

These kinds of wild, fresh salmons are not previous deep-frozen.

I had occasional eaten fresh raw salmon before, simply with mustard or cheese. But I had stopped due to concern of parasite. Questions:

1. Do you eat raw, not previous deep-frozen salmon?
2. If you cook it due to concern of parasite, how much do you cook? Is a simple sear with most of the inside practically raw enough?

asked by George H over 3 years ago

I have eaten sushi of all kinds most of my life. I don't worry about parasites and it appears the throngs of people in line at the sushi restaurants don't either. I don't make it at home often. It's just one of those things that I enjoy letting the masters make for me.

I cook salmon rare inside whether it's been previously frozen or not.