🔕 🔔

Can you replace parchment paper with anything in baking?

Baking fish and I don't have parchment paper. Can I substitute with another paper or tool?

asked by mama'mia over 5 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

You could bake on foil but it can stick so I would lightly oil the foil.

Silpat

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Silplat is my go to. However in a pinch at low heat (below 400) you can use brown paper bag cut open, and depending on the application rub it with some flour.

Hint for storing Silplat: Rull it up and put it in the tube from a roll of paper towels. Silplat is well worth the up front cost IMHO.

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

Be careful with paper bags! Many of the grocery bags have inks that may become toxic when heated. There are 2 new parchment paper/foil in one that are great. "MarhaWrap" by Martha Stewart is great...you get the "creasing fold-ability" of foil with the non stick of parchment. But I do agree with Sam that Silpat is worth the investment.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

If you can find it, liquid lecithin is an amazing pan-greaser. Nothing sticks, and if you rub it in with your fingers, rub what's left onto your hands like lotion -- amazing, too.