Do I peel the stalks?

Ad90d83e 6824 4dcf 9440 2e7adfece953  food52 01 17 12 9589

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Broccoli Apple Soup" from BlueKaleRoad. It says:

"Cut the broccoli florets off the stalk and set aside. Cut the stalks into 1-inch pieces. Peel the apples, core and cut into 1-inch pieces."

asked by fudgefactor almost 7 years ago

What is your question?

fudgefactor

Should the broccoli stems be peeled?

My recommendation is yes to peeling the stalks. I always do.

CatalunaLilith

if you have larger broccoli that has a thick woody skin around the outside, yes, but don't worry about it for the smaller offshoots of stem or smaller heads of broccoli that are already tender enough to just cook

Remember that the soup will be pureed, so unless the stalk has a tough 'skin,' unpeeled should be fine. I made it and had no problem -- and loved it!

fudgefactor

Thanks. It's always nice to have another validation when something sounds delicious.

CarlaCooks

I made this soup last week and I did not peel the thicker stalks. I had no problem pureeing the soup. Enjoy!

Roberta Griffin

I was wondering if you have an approximate weight for the "large" stalk of broccoli?