Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

Buttercream problem.

Every time I add milk to my buttercream to thin it out, it separates! Help?!

asked by foidivin almost 5 years ago

Are you adding cold milk? Try nuking it for a few seconds to bring it closer to room temp and the temp of your BC. And are you starting with soft, room temp butter?

B5d4c31e d9a4 4f0e ae4e ecaa0cf95de6  dsc 0253 2
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

I haven't added milk to my buttercream in the past so I'm not 100% certain what might be going wrong, but two things come to mind that could be going wrong. Is it possible that the buttercream and the milk are at super different temperatures and the milk is shocking the buttercream a bit? That springs to mind as a possibility. Or try adding the milk extremely slowly while you whip (barely a trickle) - could you be adding too much milk?

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

This often happens when too much liquid is added, but there are ways to fix it.

This is one way to fix broken frosting:
Scoop all the frosting into another bowl. Wash and completely dry out your mixer bowl. Add a few spoonfuls of butter to the mixer and whip on high speed (if desired, also add a little confectioner's sugar to balance it out--but the butter is the only part you really need). Then, add back the "bad" frosting, one spoonful at a time, to the mixer. Don't add the next spoonful until the one before it is completely incorporated. Stop short of adding the last few spoonfuls. This should turn all your frosting back to good, smooth, fluffy frosting in no time.